Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ice Cubes


It's easy to long for winter when there isn't 10 feet of ice at your door, just el sol beating down on your head.

<>
"Echoes"
Canon A1 w/ Canon FD 24 f/2.8 

I really need to revisit this negative, get a higher quality scan. This shot looks particularly good when enlarged to at least 11x14 - the lake is tack sharp - but the clouds echo the pattern in a much softer way. 

It's funny - I know many who won't do landscapes in winter. I seem to be drawn exclusively to them in winter - I mean, I can appreciate landscapes in other seasons for sure but I don't get the same feeling of obligation to photograph it, document it. 



<>
"Winter Ballet"
Canon A1 w/ FD 24 f/2.8

I love how the leaves feel so light in the photo, how that is still interpretable through photo. Graceful, implied movement. I'd love to have this one framed, I'd always expect to turn away and then look back - just to find the leaves had blown away.

Both were shot at Lake Zorinsky in Omaha, Nebraska. 


I think ultimately it's not the visual reality of winter landscapes that I'm interested in - though the alienation of the landscape during that time of foliage loss and whiteout is fascinating - no, I'm more interested in the idea of  hardship, hibernation, and then resurrection in the weak rays of early spring. Tough little sprouts of grass still daring to stand through a foot of snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment